Glovebox question

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Glovebox question
From: Tim Hickey <tjhickey@gatecity.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1999 22:36:53 -0500
How in the world does one open the glovebox on a 1973 TR6? Now, don't jump
the gun. My car is a basket case (cardboard box, actually) restoration. I
have been in a working TR6 once, so I am working a bit in the dark.
I just finished installing the wooden dash and all the gauges, and have
just discovered that there is a small glove box door stop that needs to be
screwed to the backside of the dash. However, it does not seem that this
stop will solve my concern. When one wants to open the box door you have to
push the button on the lock on the door. Pushing the button causes a small
pawl to drop, thus unlatching the door. However, what pushes the door open.
If I have to push with a force of three pounds to depress the button, what
is supposed to push the door out past the engagement range of that little
pawl? I accidently bumped it shut tonight, and the only way I could think
of to get it open was to get a small suction cup and my small hand powered
vacuum pump and use the cup to pull open the door.
What am I missing here? Is the door stop all that is required? There is the
small switch the turns on the light, but it does not push hard enough to
force the door open.
What is the secret?

Thanks.