Re: Glovebox question

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Glovebox question
From: "Power British Performance Parts, Inc." <britcars@powerbritish.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 07:56:39 -0400
scott suhring wrote:

> Since we'll all end up telling how we deal with the
> dreaded glovebox, I'll add my extremly scientific
> method: I use a credit card. Slide in the
> upper left hand corner, push button while
> pulling with a downward flip on the credit card
> and it will pop.
>
> Scott Suhring
> Elizabethtown, PA
> '70 TR6
> '59 TR3A
>
> levilevi@home.com wrote:
> >
> > Tim
> >
> > No secret to it.  Some will open some won't.  I have one that won't
> > either.  Bought one of those little finger pull gadgets but once I
> > pulled the buton/latch out I saw that I'd have to ream the hole to get
> > both to fit back in the hole.  Didn't like the idea of doing that so
> > when I put the latch back I got a small length of small diameter black
> > shoe string (you know the small slick kind that always come untied) and
> > put it under the bottom of the latch with a small loop sticking out and
> > the two ends between the latch and the door.  Now I just pinch the loop
> > with my thumb and forefinger, push the button in and pull the glovebox
> > door open.  Works great and looks better than the finger pull IMHO.
> >
> > Bud Rolofson
> >
> > Tim Hickey wrote:
> > >
> > > How in the world does one open the glovebox on a 1973 TR6?

Try inserting the key, then with the button pushed in turn the key clockwise
with some
firm pressure.  Pressure on the key will hold the lock cylinder in and you can
then
pull on the key and the door will open easily.

To fix the problem, you really should install the metal tab with the little
rubber
button on the back side of the dash.  Also, you will find that often times the
lid
support is carelessly placed on the glovebox door, which results in two possible
interference problems.  One involves the end of the lid support contacting the
top of
the glovebox itself (paper or plastic) right about as the lid is closed.  The
other is
that the support will bind against the post itself at an odd angle as the lid is
almost closed.  This binding makes the already precarious nature of the opening
process impossible.  To check if this is your problem, simply remove the lid
support
and then try opening the door.  If the door opens easily, then reinstall the
support
and adjust the screws on the glovebox door as necessary - move the screws
further
toward the bottom edge of the door if the support hits the top of the glovebox
- move
the screws further toward the driver's side of the door if the support binds
the post
at an angle - come up with a good excuse for the extra screw holes in the
glovebox
door and you'll be the envy of everyone else in your club the next time you
open the
glovebox.

Good luck!

Cheers!

Brian Schlorff    '61 TR-4     '64 TR-4     '72 TR-6     '79 Spit
     Power British                         Check out Power British
   1242 E. Ridge Pike                            on the 'net!
Plymouth Meeting, PA 19462
    (610) 270-0505                http://www.powerbritish.com/~britcars