RE: Gasless Mig Welding???

To: "D. Michael Scott" <dms@snip.net>, George Richardson <gprtech@frontiernet.net>
Subject: RE: Gasless Mig Welding???
From: Gernot von Hoegen <avac@totalise.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 12:21:41 +0100
Cc: triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
>===== Original Message From "D. Michael Scott" <dms@snip.net> =====
>Thanks for the info George,
>I have never welded before and I'm sure there will be plenty
>of grinding for me.  Just looking for the simplest way to get into some
>effective body
>repair welding without a big investment. I was told one drawback is that the
>fluxcore wire for the gasless mig costs a lot more.  Anyway, I hope to be a
>flamethrower soon too!
>D. Michael/Future Grinder
>
>George Richardson wrote:
>
>> Gasless welding is strong enough, but the flux cored wire makes for a messy
>> weld. If you're like me, and end up grinding the weld all the time anyway,
>> it probably doesn't matter.
>>
>> I don't think the weld is as strong as that done with shield gas, but then
>> again, my understanding is that the weld done with shield gas is stronger
>> than the surrounding metal.

too right. However, I may stress that it doesn't really do good welding but
its ok as a start up unit or if you can't afford/get renal gas bottles. Once
you get your own bottle and a proper unit you will find its a lot better. So
consider that and think if you are not wasting money by in the end buying two
welders...

>> > I am new to welding, but thinking about putting in new
>> > floors, rear quarter panels, reinforcing panels around
>> > 1/4 eliptic spring boxes, battery plate, etc. on MkII Sprite. And maybe
>> > later,
>> > some limited patch welding on my TR6.
>> >
>> > Has anyone had some experience with no gas Mig welding/using
>> > the fluxcore wire fed welder without gas??? Do you think
>> > the weld is strong enough? Do you think the weld range of
>> > 24 gauge to 1/8 inch is enough for most  welding jobs on TR6 trunk and
>> > on Sprite body?????
>> >
>> > THanks for your help flame-throwers!   D. Michael with Pyro-Plans
>>
>> --
>> George Richardson
>> The Wyvern - '57 Triumph TR3, TS15559L -
>> http://www.merlingroupinc.com/tr3.htm
>> The Hippogrif - '71 Triumph Stag MKI, LE8176E - soon to get a site of it's
>> own
>> Kitty - '83 Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plas - Undergoing repair

  Sachverständige für das Kraftfahrzeugwesen
             Rütscher Str.22
               52072 Aachen
                 Germany
Tel. (0044) 0241/159406 Fax (0044) 0241/159972
        Mobil (0044) 0171/5283280