Re: Paint and body shop recommendations

To: "Philip E. Barnes" <peb3@cornell.edu>
Subject: Re: Paint and body shop recommendations
From: "Dean Mericas" <dmericas@limno.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 13:38:53 -5
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Comments: Authenticated sender is <lti-ntbdc/dmericas/dmericas@lti-ntbdc.limno.com>
Phil -

> Not to be a pessimist, but what the body guy said has some truth to it. If
> you can find some good fenders for the car, the price of the work would
> fall dramatically. I ran into this on my car and was fortunate that TRF had
> all their body panels on sale with free shipping. Think of it: How long
> will it take to make a patch and weld it in, then get it ready for paint?
> Multiply that by the hourly rate and you can see that a simple patch might
> cost more than a new panel in a short time.

Thanks for the feedback.  I've considered the repro panels from TRF
and Moss, but I get the impression that they're quality is not so
hot and Moss wants about $450 each.  How much fiddling was required
to get a good fit?

> On the other hand, if the guy wanted to be honest and tell you he wasn't
> interested in the job, he should have done that.

Actually, both shops declined to bid on the job, and I appreciated
their candor.  Basically, they view restoration-type jobs as more
trouble than they can reasonably charge for, and they weren't
interested in doing a half-assed job.

Thanks again.
Dean Mericas, Ann Arbor, MI  (dmericas@limno.com)
1965 TR4 (CT37089L)