Re: turbo tr-6

To: Matt Ritter <prdesign@ix.netcom.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: turbo tr-6
From: Erik Quackenbush <erik@midwestfilter.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 14:19:02 -0500
At 12:50 PM 9/30/99 -0400, you wrote:

>Has anybody ever tried turbocharging the P.I. in a tr-6?
>I know that >the later carb head came with lower compressions so that might
>possibly
>prevent detonation in combination with an intercooler.

The problem is that the P.I. metering unit is controlled
solely via vacuum (and crank position of course- it is a sequential
system), so you would need to find a way generate the right amount
of vacuum based on engine load to get the right amount of fuel.

>  Also how much HP can the tr trans and diff handle?

Probably 200HP. My modified PI TR-6 puts out somewhere around 170.

>Is there a LSD dif avialabe.

Yes. Quaife makes a nice one. Available direct from Quaife in England
or through the big 3 suppliers (who mark it up a LOT). Detroit Locker
made one many years ago and you could conceivably find a used one,
but the Quaife is a better design.

> Also where can you get a hard top?

I believe The Roadster Factory still has NOS original steel hardtop kits
(which look beautiful on the car) in stock; they need painting and
assembly. You can sometimes find a  used hardtop in need of paint
and a headliner for $500 or so at a British car show or swap meet-
the Carlisle Import show is a good place for this. The last time I
visited British Miles (a Moss dealer and British junkyard- in Bristol
PA I think) they had used a steel hard top for sale.

Rimmer Brothers in the UK offers new fiberglass 'Lenham' hardtops.
They're black and look nice in the catalog although I've never seen
one up close. There's a new U.S. firm that is making fiberglass
hardtops and body panels (not sure they offer TR-6 tops); I
saw them at the Roadster Factory Summer Party but I forget their name.

-Erik

--
Erik Quackenbush, V.P. Operations, Midwest Filter Corporation
1-847-680-0566 fax: 1-847-680-0832 http://www.midwestfilter.com