Re: Miscellaneous TR6 queries

To: paul-m@mweb.co.za, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Miscellaneous TR6 queries
From: SpitRacer9@aol.com
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 1999 14:03:21 EST

> There is a strap that hangs down from the middle of the tonneau cover, with
the
> female end of a popper on it. What's it meant to attach to?

this attaches to the male end on the passenger seat.  The connection should
be towards the middle of the seat on the transmission tunnel side.  It is the
same style of connector found at the windscreen for attaching the tonnaeu
there.

> When I turn the key part of the way, I can hear a ticking noise coming from
the
> passenger footwell area, as if the turn signals were going. What is it?

did someone rewire with an electrial fuel pump that is located under the car?

> I want to re-position the number plate from its current position, stuck to
the
> bodywork above the front bumper, to attached below the bumper. Will it
affect
> the airflow through the engine?

I don't believe it will harm engine flow that much.  the only thing I noticed
is that with an oil coiler you can't be helping air flow to it.

> When I accelerate, particularly up hill, there is a sudden swerve to the
right
> when I take my foot off the accelerator. Is this a steering problem, an
> endearing characteristic of the TR6, or what?

Check the steering mounts and shake all of the tires to check the wheel
bearings.  That is not a charactoristic I have heard as being a problem.
Check the suspension for wear, and also check to see if any of the brakes are
dragging.

> There is a narrow rubber pipe with the end open hanging down behind the left
> rear wheel. Looks like it's meant to be there, but what does it do?

Sounds like part of the evaporative return emissions system.  Was probably
connected to the carbon canister at one time...see below

> Finally, is the strong petrol smell in the boot normal?
No the smells of petrol isn't normal, could be a couple of things....the
hanging rubber hose or a small leak in the petrol tank.  most likely the
evaporative system isn't hooked up and it's allowing the fuel to vent into
the trunk

Aaron