RE: Lubricants

To: "'Tony Rhodes'" <ARhodes@compuserve.com>, "Power British Performance Parts, Inc." <britcars@powerbritish.com>, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Lubricants
From: "Westerdale, Bob" <bwesterdale@edax.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 13:59:16 -0500charset="windows-1252"
Has anyone ever tried to tap into an oil galley to monitor oil pressure? It
might be interesting to  monitor both the pressure at the filter housing and
pressure at the 'end o' the line'.
A large pressure difference between the two might indicate excessive bearing
clearance,  while less difference would indicate less wear in the
bearings.... Each lubricated journal is in effect a 'leak', as far as the
pressurized oil line is concerned.  After the oil has passed a leak, its
pressure is reduced by an amount related to the amount of oil which bled off
through the clearance between journal and bearing.  Large clearance=lots of
oil bleed down=larger pressure drop.   Of course this becomes harder to
assess if they used a lot of flow restrictors in the line....
Your thoughts?