Re: Lubricants

To: "INTERNET:dkveuro@flash.net" <dkveuro@flash.net>, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Subject: Re: Lubricants
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 15:33:10 -0500
Message text written by INTERNET:dkveuro@flash.net
>OK....Doesn't ANYBODY know ANYTHING about fluid dynamics?Fact: At high
>RPM's rod journal oil pressures are in the muli hundreds of PSI.
>Fact:Dynamic fluid wedge pressure on main and rod bearings at speed,
>around 160000 PSI!<

Ok, but so what.  Are you saying that due to this pressure the pressure reading
by the oil pressure gauge is or is not an accurate measure of the pressure as
the oil
enters the bearing?  If the rod journals have such high pressure how does the
oil
pump make the oil flow TOWARD the journals?

I think that you mean that there are transiently high pressures...  I think
that the oil flows
during the low pressure times.  Those transients are why we care so much about
the
film properties of the oils, etc.

-T