Re: negative camber

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: negative camber
From: "Power British Performance Parts, Inc." <britcars@powerbritish.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 19:13:06 -0500
John A. Simmons wrote:

> I have a recently purchased '71 TR6 and the right front wheel has excessive
> negative camber (the left side is fine).  The car has stock shocks,
> competion springs from TRF (1" lower than stock springs).  I can't remove
> shims to correct the problem because they have already all been removed
> before I bought the car.  Will changing to stock height springs correct the
> problem, or adding spacers, or do a go to a frame shop for some corrective
> bending?
>
> John
> Berekely Springs, WV
> '71 TR6

John,

Check the orientation of the upper suspension fulcrum that bolts to the top of
the
suspension tower.  On the TR-6, these can be installed backward resulting in
excessive
negative camber (old racer's trick).  The proper orientation should be with the
bend
in the center of the fulcrum offset TOWARD the tire.  Check this first and if
correct
look for other suspension damage such as a bent vertical link before suspecting
springs.  It is possible that one spring has sagged, but usually they are
fitted in
pairs and tend to age the same.

Good luck!

--
Regards,

Brian Schlorff    '61 TR-4     '64 TR-4     '72 TR-6     '79 Spit
     Power British                         Check out Power British
   1242 E. Ridge Pike                            on the 'net!
Plymouth Meeting, PA 19462
    (610) 270-0505                http://www.powerbritish.com/~britcars