RE: Help with TR-6 Head Oil Leak

To: "John F. Browder" <jbrowder@usit.net>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Help with TR-6 Head Oil Leak
From: Davies William-qswi646 <QSWI646@email.mot.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 08:51:26 -0000charset="iso-8859-1"
John,
        This is a common problem on the small 4 cylinder engines - the
design is common to the 6 in most respects. The oil is comming from th oil
gallery which feeds the rocker shaft. The oil is finding it's way out at the
joint between head and block, and is appearing towards the rear left hand
side of the engine. The only way I've found to cure this is to smear a
little Blue Hylomar on both faces of the head gasket in this area when
assembling. I have experienced this leak several times on different engines,
and each time this has fixed the problem. There was never any indication of
head warpage.
        I don't believe there is any way to fix this without removing the
head, but I doubt there is any actual damage. I usually live with the
problem and fix it next time I need the head off for another reason.
        Hope this helps,
                Bill.

> it has developed an oil leak that appears to be
> between the head and block at back end of engine.
>
> I re-torqed the head and it has slowed the leak (I think),
> but not stopped
> it.

                            This Message sent by:
    ^================^
   /                  \     William Davies
  /                    \    Total Triumph Enthusiast
/  \  ______  ______  /  \  1959 Herald 948 Coupé Y128
\__/  \     ||     /  \__/  1959 Herald 948 Coupé
\________________________/  1964 Herald 1200 Saloon
 | |                  | |   1970 Spitfire MkIII
 |_|                  |_|   1973 Spitfire MkIV
                            1959 Standard Atlas Pickup