Re: Help with TR-6 Head Oil Leak

To: jbrowder@usit.net
Subject: Re: Help with TR-6 Head Oil Leak
From: jgreenb1@ix.netcom.com
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 16:20:55 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On 11/12/99 12:35:17 you wrote:

>I have a '71 TR-6 with an unusual oil leak.  I bought the car out of
>prolonged storage...almost 10 years.  Has about 60,000 miles on it.  I
>flushed every fluid, refilled, and the car ran great, no leaks.  As I have
>put some miles on it, it has developed an oil leak that appears to be
>between the head and block at back end of engine.
>
>I re-torqed the head and it has slowed the leak (I think), but not stopped
>it.
>
>Any thoughts?

I had a similar mysterious oil leak with my 1976 Tr6 which has a 1969
engine.  I kept noticing oil at the back of the engine that appeared to be
seeping between the head and the block.  The leak appeared to be only on the
driver side.  After tightening everything I could think of that would cause
the leak, the oil continued to appear.  Finally a friend said to check the
bolts on the timing chain cover at the front of the engine.  Sure enough, a
couple bolts at the top of the cover were loose (but not very loose) but
still apparently loose enough that oil was seeping from the front cover and
the wind inside the engine bay was actually pushing the oil from the front
of the engine along the edge of the head and to the rear of the engine,
where it appeared to be leaking from between the head and the block and then
dripping down the side of the block.

Once I tightened the bolts on the front cover, the "leak" disappeared.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Jerry Greenberg