RE: Looking at a '69 Spitfire

To: iron_horse819@yahoo.com
Subject: RE: Looking at a '69 Spitfire
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 15:13:46 -0500 ()
Cc: "'Craig D Niederst'" <cdn@andrew.cmu.edu>, spitfires@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
On Fri, 19 Nov 1999 iron_horse819@yahoo.com wrote:

> For what it's worth, My TR4A was also purchased in the UK and later brought to
> the US ... and it has left-hand drive.  If I recall correctly, Jonmac stated
> that you could purchase a 'Personal Export' vehicle with the specifications
>for
> where you were going to be taking it to (correct me if I'm wrong!) and this
> would account for this apparent discrepency ...

Absolutely correct. In fact, one of my Heralds is just such a car, as
documented by the BMIHT certificate. (Sidebar: receiving the certificate
finally explained an awful lot about the car, not the least of which was
why a 1960 model Herald was registered as a 1962 Triumph in New York
State. It appears to have been due to the car having been a "Personal
Export Delivery" car that must have remained in England for quite some
time. Odder still is the fact that the car was built to full US
specification, but all exterior lighting was to home market specification
-- further indication that the car must have seen quite some period of use
in England!

My advice to Craig still stands, though, in respect to the fact that it is
better to be safe than sorry!

--Andy