Looking at a '69 Spitfire

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Looking at a '69 Spitfire
From: Craig D Niederst <cdn@andrew.cmu.edu>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 00:18:06 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
I am new to this list (and Spitfires), and am considering purchasing one.
I have been previously looking at MGB's so far, but I've found a '69
Spitfire locally that I'm going to look at this weekend. This is what I
know so far:

(1) Has new soft top and factory hardtop
(2) Floor pans, passenger door skin replaced, some rust repaired around
lower wheelwell
(3) 72k original miles
(4) New brakes and clutch
(5) Car imported from England when owner moved to USA (but it is left hand
drive??)

The car is offered for $2500. I was wondering what else I should look for
when I go to see the car? I assume the Spitfire has the usual rust
problems present in other British cars. Where should I look in particular
for rust (sills, rockers?)? Any other problem areas to look for on the
MkIII model? I checked out the VTR Spitfire pages, but they were not very
extensive. Are there other recommended webpages with additional Spitfire
info? I know the info I have provided on the car is sketchy at best, but
does $2500 sound reasonable for a '69 in good condition (and winter
coming)? TIA.

Craig Niederst