RE: Looking at a '69 Spitfire

To: "Craig D Niederst" <cdn@andrew.cmu.edu>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Looking at a '69 Spitfire
From: "James Gambony" <BritBits@tiu.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 23:49:11 -0600charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Craig,

Spitfires tend to rot in the following spots (and almost this order):

battery box
Front part of floor pan
back end of rocker panel
just behind rear wheels
trunk floor
trunk lid lower edge

*** gas tank ***

Other typicals:

bent nose on bonnet (look when bonnet raised for bondo/dents)

At that price I'd expect the car to look complete (all chrome/glass/paint
fair) with at least a reasonable interior.  Engine should be an "FE" prefix
(right, round tailers?) for a proper 1296cc.  '69s were still twin HS2s.

When you test drive make sure there are still synchros in the g'box.
Traditionally 2nd gear seems to take the most abuse and a tired trans with
bad bushes will typically pop out of 2nd gear (if you can get it into 2nd in
the first place!).

On the upside is that if the body work is all still solid typically later
parts can be swapped in (drivetrain, brakes, seats) so there should be
decent parts availability there.

If you see a lot of rust in the tub be ready to get a mortgage from the
local body shop.

Cheers,

Jim