Re: TR6 Stuck clutch

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 Stuck clutch
From: "Power British Performance Parts, Inc." <britcars@powerbritish.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 13:26:38 -0500
Geo Hahn wrote:

> "Bromiel, James E (James)" wrote:
>
> > I recently purchased a '74 TR6 with overdrive,  My problem is the clutch
> > seems to be stuck. <snip>
> > Is there a way to free it with out dropping the trans?
>
> Mine stuck when the car sat for a year in storage.  You might try bumping the
> starter with the car in gear & clutch pedal down to see if that frees it.
> That didn't work on mine and I finally called the tech number at Moss for
> advice, here's what they told me to do...
>
> Raise the rear of the car with a jack, put the car in 1st gear, start the
> engine, depress the the clutch pedal, rev up, have someone push you off the
> jack.  Oh yeah, have a lot of clear road ahead of you when you try this.
>
> I jacked on the rear cross tube and used a block of wood between the jack and
> the car to make it easy for my wife to push it off the jack.  Make darn sure
> that the car will clear the jack once it's pushed off it.  Make double-darn
> sure you've selected a forward gear!
>
> Anyway, it worked for me first try.  Pretty exciting, took a few months for
> the rain to wash the "patch" off the driveway.
>
> I assume no responsibilty for this stunt other than to say that it worked for
> me.  Good luck.
>
> Geo Hahn
> 59 TR3A

The less spectacular approach is to safely support the rear of the car on
jackstands -
sit in the car, select 4th gear, start engine (rear wheels will start to spin),
have
assistant manually depress throttle to raise speed to about 3000 RPM, allow
engine to
stabilize for a few seconds, then simultaneously jam the brake and clutch to
the floor
and yank on the handbrake with all your might.  This way, the impulse reaction
is
appling full brake pressure instead of waiting for the car to fall off the jack
under
throttle and you will not run the risk of running someone or something over.

If this does not free the engine on the first try repeat the procedure and have
your
assistant increase throttle opening as you initiate the brake/clutch
application.

Good luck!

Regards,

Brian Schlorff    '61 TR-4     '64 TR-4     '72 TR-6     '79 Spit
     Power British                         Check out Power British
   1242 E. Ridge Pike                            on the 'net!
Plymouth Meeting, PA 19462
    (610) 270-0505                http://www.powerbritish.com/~britcars