Re: Disappointment (was going to look at a '74 TR6)

To: "The List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Disappointment (was going to look at a '74 TR6)
From: "Steve Nabors" <topdown@eudoramail.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 14:45:22 -0800
BTW, from the described condition, what would be a fair
>price (just wondering what opinions you all would have)?
>
>Craig

Bud's right, the car might be worth $500 in parts car format(including the
trailer you'd have to rent to get it home).

To give you a gauge on what $2500 will get you. This time last year I bought my
'74 TR6 for $2000.
The problems:
1)It had a rust spot about 6" in the drivers floor pan from a leak up under
dash. No rust anywhere else that I've found so far.
2)It sounded like a harley with an exhaust leak(due to a broken exhaust
manifold stud to the downpipe). Otherwise the engine runs fine.
3)A hellacious vibration that set up when taking the car out of gear and
coasting(turned out to be a severely wallowed out u-joint).
4)Original functioning top but shrunk so much that a 2" gap formed on passenger
side.
5)3rd gear grinds if you shift too quickly(toasted synchromesh I think).
6)Paint not too bad(a polish and wax helped alot) but spider cracking in places.
7)Front left bumper and fender bent inward apparently from an impact on the
corner there.
8)Interior faded but in real good shape otherwise holes in seats.

The car (of supposedly 47K miles)underwent a restoration at one point and then
the PO(of 15 years) let it slide downhill a bit.

It was the only car I looked at(lucky me).The guy was asking $2000 firm but he
would be sad to know that I'd have given $2500 for it as it was basically a
driveable fixable(relatively rust free) car. If this same rust free body car
were not running then a $800 to $1300 would have been in order IMHO(not knowing
the extent of mechanical failure).

The guy trying to sell his heap might do better to sell the salvageable parts
but it sounds like he thinks his gold mine might sell better as a
whole..............piece of junk that is.

BTW,I've put $1000(have all receipts) into mine so far in parts and a $430
custom exhaust. It still needs a top, paint job but its a daily driver so the
paint might have to wait for a while.