Re: TR3A front suspension question

To: "Paul Schneider" <schneidr@mc.net>
Subject: Re: TR3A front suspension question
From: "Bill Brewer" <bbrewer@lightspeed.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 1999 14:34:36 -0800
Hey Paul,
     I just rebuild the front suspension on 1960 TR-3A TS 72747 LO. All four
lower A-arms were bent and/or had the trunnion bushings gone and had worn
into the casting. I bought 4 used replacements from Wayne Bier at "Triumphs
Only" (phone 408-947-7766). 3 of the 4 were fine. The last one was worn so
bad that the trunnion bushing would just fall out, bang around, etc.. I
exchanged it and the next one was worse. Exchanged it a couple of more times
and finally the last one was fine, but bent slightly. I got together with my
best bud Lou Zaninovich (Morgans and TVRs), brought beer, and we rigged a
simple jig in a large vice and coerced it straight with a medium sledge
hammer and it was no worse for the ordeal.
     Incidentally, when it was all reassembled, one side had negative
castor. It turned out that something had hit that side hard and bent the
lower suspension mounting points on the frame. A frame straightener bent it
back right and aligned the front wheels for $100. The car runs smooth and
straight. The front end and steering are very precise.
     Another supply source might be British Miles (Philadelphia) at
1-800-WE-FIX-MG.
     Good luck.

     Bill Brewer
     Tehachapi, CA

     1960 TS 72747 LO  -Driver
     1961 TS 75407 L     -In lots of Brits and pieces