Emmission Inspections

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Emmission Inspections
From: Bill Swinehart <bills@pagesz.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 1999 23:10:18 -0600
Well listers,

Barney Fife is alive and well!!!  He moved from Mayberry to Raleigh, NC
and is now employed as a state inspector for the NC DMV.  Unfortunately,
he inspected my TR6 this morning and informed me that "there is evidence
of tamperin'" with the emissions.  This is because there is a screw in
the EGR valve where a hose used to be.   He didn't bother putting it on
the machine because of the "tamperin'", but did inform me that there
could be a $2,000.00 fine.  I didn't bother to tell him that the screw
has been there for at least the eleven years that I have owned the car
and it passed Virginia emissions 8 times and North Carolina emissions 3
times previously.

There is stuff missing.  The Roadster Factory catalogue shows the hoses
and connections and the addition of a fuel trap assembly.  I guess I
should buy all the stuff, install it and see what happens.  I could also
jam a hose with a piece of rubber and connect it from the EGR valve to
the rear carburetor where one of the original connections was.  However,
if Barney checked it out real close, he may see to it that I'm
"prosecuted to the full extent of the law, Andy".

I'm interested in finding out if anyone else has had run-ins with
overzealous inspectors and what the resolution was.  In North Carolina,
I think emission requirements change from county to county, so rather
than seek someone with the exact geographic experience, any advise is
welcome.

Thanks in Advance.

Bill Swinehart
76 TR6