Winter Storage / Fuel Drain

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Winter Storage / Fuel Drain
From: ewcorco@erenj.com
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 09:56:56 -0500
Folks:

Before I go out and identify all the difficult ways, which I historically
am very good at doing, I thought I'd solicit a response for an easy way:

I'd like to drain the float bowls of the carbs on my '71 TR6 before I add
oil to each cylinder and store it for the winter.  The metal tank is, of
course, full of fuel and added stabilizer, and I've run the engine long
enough to get it into the carbs [note: hopefully not TOO full, as cool gas
must expand when warmer temperatures arrive this spring - anyone have any
experience with the correct amount of free volume to leave to allow for
this expansion?].

I can't seem to find a float bowl drain screw on the ZS carbs - true?  If
so, what is the best way to run them dry without introducing yet more fuel
to them.  I would think that something as simple as pinching off the fuel
line BEFORE the fuel pump, as the car is running, might be effective but I
don't want to release any 'gremlins' by trying this out wothout asking.

Hopefully, a simple question for those out there.....thanks in advance.

Ned Corcoran
1971 TR6