Re: English Vs. Metric

To: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Subject: Re: English Vs. Metric
From: Jim Davis <jh_davis@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 1999 22:33:04 -0500
Cc: Sumner Weisman <sweisman@gis.net>, Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
        I drive a bit in the southeastern US and don't ever remember seeing
references to the measurements of distance given in kilometers. Hope I
don't ever see such a reference. I can't think of any advantage
whatsoever of converting highway distance measurements in this country.
There are probably more miles or kilometers of improved roads in the US
than the rest of the Americas combined. Certainly North and Central
America, anyway. Should it make sense for any countries to convert, it
would be Canada and Mexico. I fully understand the need for the use of
metrics in manufacturing, for standardization due to export concerns.
But the value of any measurement is relativity. To determine what
distance one has traveled, or at what speed one is traveling, miles and
MPH is every bit as useful to the American motorist as kilometers or
KPH.
My 2 cents, or pence, or pesos, or whatever,
Jim Davis
Fortson, GA
CF38690UO
CF37325U