Re: TR3 originality questions (& parts wanted)

To: Day.John@fin.gc.ca
Subject: Re: TR3 originality questions (& parts wanted)
From: KTRIUMPH@aol.com
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1999 20:12:31 EST
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
In a message dated 12/2/99 8:23:48 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Day.John@fin.gc.ca writes:

<< If I recall correctly (haven't committed everything to memory yet),
 Piggott's "Original TR2/3/3A" book lists the change from budget locks to the
 handle at around TS23920 (not all the changes appeared to happen at the
 exact start of the '3A' at TS22014). I know my early 3A has an incorrect,
 post-60000 boot lid (methinks it had a shunt in the rear in some PO's life)
 which I want to replace, but as my 3A is TS22930 LO, I'm under the number at
 when the switch was made. Are there any Listers out there between 22930 and
 23920 with their original boot lid, and if so, does it have the budget
 locks? I have a TR2 boot lid which I was intending on using if that were the
 case.  Thanks, folks!

 Cheers, JD >>

Talk about close! My 58 3A - TS22690 - has what I believe to be the original
boot lid, and it has the budget locks. I think you can tell by looking at the
lip of the body at the corners of the boot opening. Budget lock cars have a
~1/8" thick plate welded in place, to accept the cam from the budget lock.
Very similar to the plate in the center.
I'm not sure if all early 3A's or even 3's got this reinforcing plate, but if
it's not there then it's a good bet the car didn't have the budget locks.
Anyone out there with a early 3A that didn't have budget locks? Does the car
have the reinf plates in the lower corners of the boot opening?

Ken Nuelle
58 TR3A
62 TR3B
64 TR4