Digital Cameras

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Digital Cameras
From: David.Griffiths@veths.no
Date: 3 Dec 1999 14:23:34 -0000
>I'm trying to learn about digital cameras in order to buy one.(I think the
>prices may come down). For instance, when I read about a 35mm camera it will
>state something like zoom 28 to 140. Well, I understand that, 28 being wide
>angle, 55 being normal, 135 ish, portrait, and you turn the lens or push the
>button and it zooms in or out. However, when I look at digital cameras, they
>will have something like 2x or 3x? I don't understand what this means in
>terms of lenses or how they work? Can someone enlighten me. It would be nice
>to have instant pictures of LBC cars. Also, can anyone make any
>recommendations of good inexpensive digital cameras and what I should be
>looking for? Thanks
>Phil Smith
>TR6

These zoom figures just indicate the amount of zoom ie 2x zoom might e.g.
be 35 - 70 mm, and 3x in same example 35 - 105. Although this figure
doesn't tell you the exact mm limits, they always go from a moderate wide
angle, e.g. about 30mm and up from there. Thinking is that the higher the
value the more versatile the camera.

For general hobby use and for putting digital pictures on web pages I
recommend the Canon Powershot A5. It has been around for a while, has
therefore a good used market, lots of good features and small enough to lie
in your pocket until you need it. Good resolution, will give you at least 5
x 7 inches in photographic resolution. The earliest ones had a fixed lens
so make sure you get one of the later lenses with zoom (x3 I think).

Dave