Re: GT6/Spit Door Caps ???

To: Ken & Beth <bethken@erols.com>
Subject: Re: GT6/Spit Door Caps ???
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 1999 20:43:17 -0800 (PST)
Cc: Triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
On Sat, 4 Dec 1999, Ken & Beth wrote:

> metal. So, I have no foam. Any suggestions? All I can thinnk of is to shoot
> some of that canned Home Depot crap into the skins and shave it down.
> Whattaya think?

If you go with the can-O-foam trick, be VERY careful with the stuff-
unless you get low-expansion foam, it WILL expand a LOT!  ...Suggest you
get a few small cans of it, seal all the cracks in your house to get a
feel for 'how it works', then go for the skins.

Personally, I would fill the void with polyethylene plastic (grocery or
garbage bag; saran wrap might work too) , then shoot the foam- It's not a
good idea to put something permanent in your body skins, as otherwise
moisture *will* collect in there, and you'll be harboring rust.  Make the
pieces removable, and remove them every few years to be sure your car
isn't undoing itself from within.

(Guess the above advice does not apply for those of us lucky enough to
live somewhere that rust isn't a constant problem....)

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its new home is:
http://www.islandnet.com/~walker05/triumph/trfaq.htm