Sparkplug problem

To: "Stephen Peca" <sppchicago@excite.com>
Subject: Sparkplug problem
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 1999 22:21:18 -0500
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Message text written by "Stephen Peca"
>I was trying to replace the sparkplugs on my new TR3.  Three of the four,
no
problem.  One plug seems like its threads are stripped.  I can turn the
plug
clockwise until tight.  I can turn the plug counterclockwise, again it gets
tight.  I didn't want to force it for fear of braking the sparkplug.

Questions:  How do I fix this?  Do I force the removal of the plug?  If I
break the sparkplug, how would I remove the remaining piece(s)?  Also, once
the sparkplug is out, how do I re-thread the opening?  Or, do I simply
leave
well enough alone?

I appreciate all comments, but I may not be able to respond to everyone
individually, because I am on a long-term business trip with limited time
regularly follow this list for a while.  Thanks.

Regards,

Steve Peca
<

Steve,

Sounds like there is rust or something in the threads.  To work it out you
need to run the spark plug in and out to the limits of travel (do not force
it an risk breaking the plug or stripping the threads but you can use up to
20 or so Ft-Lbs) back and forth and back and forth and back... well you get
the idea... and back and forth working penetrating oil into the threads and
see if the out travel starts to increase.  If it does you are on your way.
If not consider just leaving the plug in there forever (how did the others
look?).

Good Luck

Dave