Re: Sparkplug problem

To: Stephen Peca <sppchicago@excite.com>
Subject: Re: Sparkplug problem
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 1999 22:41:50 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Sun, 5 Dec 1999, Stephen Peca wrote:

> I was trying to replace the sparkplugs on my new TR3.  Three of the four, no
> problem.  One plug seems like its threads are stripped.  I can turn the plug
> clockwise until tight.  I can turn the plug counterclockwise, again it gets
> tight.  I didn't want to force it for fear of braking the sparkplug.
>
> Questions:  How do I fix this?  Do I force the removal of the plug?  If I
> break the sparkplug, how would I remove the remaining piece(s)?  Also, once
> the sparkplug is out, how do I re-thread the opening?  Or, do I simply leave
> well enough alone?
>
> I appreciate all comments, but I may not be able to respond to everyone
> individually, because I am on a long-term business trip with limited time to
> regularly follow this list for a while.  Thanks.

Stephen, this is a bit of a longshot, but I wonder if someone put the
wrong plug in that cylinder. TR3's normally take something like a
Champion L87Y or equivalent. That's a 1/2" reach plug. But if someone
put, say, an N9Y or equivalent (3/4" reach plug), that could be the cause
of it "binding" as you unscrew it. The longer plug with extra exposed
threads in the combustion chamber might have those exposed threads from
the extra length seriously gunked up, making the plug reluctant to come out.

There's less risk here than with an aluminum head, but I'd consider lots
of penetrating oil or spray and equal amounts of patience. Or pop the
head off if you're really uncomfortable about it.

Again, it could be something entirely different....

Good luck.

--Andy