Re: 40 degrees advanced?

To: "David Lee" <davelee1@home.com>, "triumph" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 40 degrees advanced?
From: "Paul J. Burr" <tigerpb@ids.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 08:30:52 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"

-----Original Message-----
From: David Lee <davelee1@home.com>
To: triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Date: Friday, December 10, 1999 5:56 AM
Subject: 40 degrees advanced?

>Hi all
>I mentioned before that my tr4 is having some problems but i forgot to ask
>if anyone had any ideas on what it could be
>I have a 64 tr4 with stock everything except an aftermarket cam.  Its a
>"mild street cam"  thats the only description ive ever been able to get
from
>the PO.  Anyhow the car starts fine at 0 degrees but rough idle and it bogs
>down alot when first accelerating.  It takes a while to get going and even
>then it just doesnt feel right
>
>after starting at 0 degrees the car will idle best when set around 40
>degrees advanced!  it not only idles great but it runs reasonably well.

The key words here are "aftermarket cam" I'd bet dollars to donuts that the
cam/timing chain were not installed properly.
They can be a bear in a TR, since there are no markings on the cam, timing
gears or crank as to what should line up where. You need a degree wheel and
dial indicator to get everthing right. I have an excellent article from
"Brittish Car" that details the exact procedure- I would have never got the
cam and timing chain right in my TR6 without these instructions.