Re: 40 degrees advanced?

To: "David Lee" <davelee1@home.com>
Subject: Re: 40 degrees advanced?
From: Brian Sanborn <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Date: Fri, Dec 10 1999 10:29:02 GMT-0500
Cc: "triumph" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
>after starting at 0 degrees the car will idle best when set around 40
>degrees advanced!

>If the timing is off because the cam and i shouldnt worry about what the
>pointer indicates, why wont it start that way?
>it seems to be firing on the upstroke at 40 so it wont even crank more than
>once.

David,

I read Paul Buur's reply and I think he has the right problem identified.  I
just rebuilt my TR4 engine... but I am no expert. So the following is just my
humble opinion.

The 40 degrees advance to run smooth and the firing on the up stroke during
starting just are not normal. The car should run fine with 4 degrees of of
advance.  It should also run acceptabily at -4 degrees retarded for that
matter. Getting a new cam and timing gears lined up right is a very difficult
operation at best.... at least the first time.  I spent a couple of days trying
to get this right.  I tried the degree wheel idea and gave up from ingnorance.

I did successfully use the the technique documented in the Haynes and TR
workshop maunual where you set the timing based on the position of #1 cylinder
and the valve opening on #4 cylinder.  That procedure is very tedious but does
work.  Also cheated a little by lightly transfering the timing marks from the
old timings gears to the new gears.  The workshop procedure led me straight to
the position where those "cheater" marks lined up.

If the cam timing is found to be correct then the only other thing that comes
to mind is that the distributor might be installed a tooth or two off.

Good luck... hope you sort it out successfully.  Let us know what happens.

Brian Sanborn
'62 TR4 CT16260  Groton,MA
TR4 Website www.net1plus.com/users/sanborn/home.html