Re: 40 degrees advanced?

Subject: Re: 40 degrees advanced?
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 06:15:49 -0800
Cc: triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>

"Paul J. Burr" wrote:
> You need a degree wheel and
> dial indicator to get everthing right. I have an excellent article from
> "Brittish Car" that details the exact procedure- I would have never got the
> cam and timing chain right in my TR6 without these instructions.

There's also a pretty good article on-line at
http://www.cranecams.com/instructions/degreeing/degree.htm
about 'degreeing' a cam.

The degree wheel itself is only about $10 (get one of the big metal ones
at a performance shop, stay away from the little plastic one that Moss
sells), a cheap Chinese dial indicator and stand is only about $25, and
you can make a piston stop yourself from an old spark plug.  The 'rigid
pointer' they talk about can be a piece of coat hangar wire, wrapped
around a bolt head and bent to suit.

Or, you can buy Crane's "Tune-a-Cam kit", which I believe is around $150

Randall