40 degrees advanced?

To: "triumph" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: 40 degrees advanced?
From: "David Lee" <davelee1@home.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 02:59:24 -0800
Hi all
I mentioned before that my tr4 is having some problems but i forgot to ask
if anyone had any ideas on what it could be
I have a 64 tr4 with stock everything except an aftermarket cam.  Its a
"mild street cam"  thats the only description ive ever been able to get from
the PO.  Anyhow the car starts fine at 0 degrees but rough idle and it bogs
down alot when first accelerating.  It takes a while to get going and even
then it just doesnt feel right

after starting at 0 degrees the car will idle best when set around 40
degrees advanced!  it not only idles great but it runs reasonably well.
Since I havent worked out all the bugs I cant pinpoint what the problem is.
Im a little scared running it this way but im ready to give up and take it
to a brit mechanic. With the lists help ive been able to find a couple
places near by.  The entire engine was totally rebuilt and this is the
second week ive been trying to get the bugs out.  I have no prior experience
with strombergs so I dont know if they are the reason behind my problems.

Does anyone have any suggestions or similar experiences that might shed some
light on my predicament.
If the timing is off because the cam and i shouldnt worry about what the
pointer indicates, why wont it start that way?
it seems to be firing on the upstroke at 40 so it wont even crank more than
once.
could the carbs not being tuned properly cause such a predicament?
how about the vacuum advance not working properly?
The only think I can think of is that my strombergs are just not right in
some way but i have no way of telling.

Im a newbie with these cars so if it sounds like i dont know what im talking
about its probably because i dont.
Anyhow i appreciate anything anyone has to offer
thanks in advance
david lee
64tr4 (tr4a badge on trunk makes me cool)