Hardtop headliner material response to BrianS.

To: "'Triumph Digest List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Hardtop headliner material response to BrianS.
From: John Jacobsen-Watts <johnw@wrq.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 06:26:04 -0800charset="iso-8859-1"
>Brian Schlorff   of "Power British Performance Parts, Inc."
<britcars@powerbritish.com> asked:

BTW, may I ask where you got your (ed. hardtop) headliner, and was it the
correct
original style material?  We did an exhaustive search for the correct
pattern material a few years back and gave up after 4 month's active
searching.

Brian:

The headliner was purchase from TRF. I did the usual quick
Vicky/Moss/TRF/Rimmer search and settled on TRF only because they had one...

It is of less than sterling quality. Thin, synthetic without cloth
backing--maybe it won't rot?? My recommendation is to remove the old liner,
select the material you want to use from your local auto interior shop and
have them stitch together the five upper headliner sections: front, middle,
rear, and both rear legs. The material for the B's, the L/R deck and rear
deck can be cut from the same material (my writeup will have include lengths
you should cut this material to). It is very, very easy for them to do from
your old 'liner and you can choose to use thicker cloth for the bow loops
(the loops on what I purchased barely permitted the bows to get through,
plus they are of very thin material.

You're only gonna rebuild this once; it makes all kind of sense to get the
best material. My biggest problem was getting the L/R window seals. Heritage
made a batch earlier this year and I finally got my set in.

John
johnw@wrq.com