RE: TR-8 John Rossi

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR-8 John Rossi
From: "Randall Young" <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 12:58:04 -0800charset="iso-8859-1"
John :

Converters generate heat by burning either CO or HC .  So, for the
converters to overheat as you describe, there must be an excess of either CO
(too rich) or HC (mis-fire) in the exhaust.  The only way a clogged
converter could cause that would be from excess back pressure making the
engine run rich (or mis-fire).

However, most engines run just fine when generating lots of CO, in fact they
typically make more power that way.  So you could well have had the carbs
"in the ballpark" and still had enough CO to cherry the converters.

I couldn't find anything on Ford converters setting grass fires, but I did
come across an interesting article about them catching fire while parked in
the garage :
Go to http://www.cartoday.com/livenews/99/05/0521.htm and scroll down to the
second article.

Randall