TR6 Medallion self destructs!

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 Medallion self destructs!
From: "Philip Haldeman" <haldeman@accessone.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 14:01:34 -0800charset="Windows-1252"
The enameled "TR6" grill badge on my '72 has simply self-destructed.  I had
just driven the car, and when I parked it, I saw little pieces of the badge
facing that had apparently just cracked and dropped off.  After 28 years,
the TR6 medallion gives up under stress!

Now, being an "originality" fanatic, I see (in The Roadster Factory catalog)
that there were three different types of grill badges.  But I need some
expert help, because there's a contradiction.  The normal TRF catalog says
the following:

Badge Assembly---"TR6" (earlier badge with cloisonne emblem) fitted up to
comm. no. CC75000.
Badge Assembly---"TR6" fitted from comm. no. CC75000 to CF12500. [this would
appear to exclusively coincide with my 1972 model year].
Badge Assembly---"TR6" (later badge with self-adhesive label) fitted after
CF12500

Well enough.  But did you get TRF Xmas catalog?  On Page 36 it says:  Grille
Badge, 1969-1974, cloisonne badge.  OR: Grille Badge, 1975-76, later style
foil badge.

Odd!  Because the main catalog designates a different badge for CC75000 to
CF12500 (not available).  Still, they describe the "early" badge as being
the "enamel" version---with "cloisonne" emblem.  What's a "cloisonne"?  Why
are we speaking French here?  Why do they say there are THREE badges in the
main catalog and only TWO in the Xmas catalog?  What's the difference
between these badges?  I assume the earlier enameled one is nicer than the
so-called "stick-on" type (that's how it's described in Moss---and they
don't break it down more than that and the "unavailable" enamel one).  My
'72 badge certainly has (or had!) a nice deep black-enameled facing.  But
according to TRF >main< catalog, it would seem that whatever I have is
exclusive to the '72 model.  Can anyone straighten all this out?

Phil Haldeman
haldeman@accessone.com

Notice that there are suddenly two styles instead of three..