Re: Rear springs and spacers

To: "Steve Nabors" <topdown@eudoramail.com>
Subject: Re: Rear springs and spacers
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 1999 10:30:44 -0500
Cc: "The List" <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Message text written by "Steve Nabors"
>This time last year I bought a standard set of rear springs from VB and it
didnt realy stiffen up any at all. The car has always sat rather low(IMHO)
in the rear so I got the biggest spacers TRF had(2" I think , not sure
without looking at a magazine). I put them in. I had to grease them to get
them in(without spring compressors mind you). It was fairly tight fit and
no room for the rubber insulators. Anyway, it raised th rear end about 2.75
to 3 inches and stiffened up the rear end big time..
<

Another source of rear end sag is the trailing bushings and these should be
addressed before you start playing around with springs.  If they are
causing the sag it is likely that they will continue to sag and whatever
fixes implemented via the springs will start to disappear over time.

I prefer the poly bushes but grease them first.

Dave