Re: TR3 update. 10 inch drum removal. DPO

To: Andy Dixon <amdixon@erols.com>
Subject: Re: TR3 update. 10 inch drum removal. DPO
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 1999 14:26:29 -0800
Cc: Triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Andy :

I have what I believe is an original steady post.
Overall, it is 1.240" (possibly worn down from 1.250")

The center section is threaded 5/16-24 for a distance of 0.805"

The end that touches the brake shoe is reduced to 0.190" (measured at
the widest spot, since my sample is somewhat corroded) for a distance of
0.290" (this is the part that would have worn down). (There is a felt
collar that slips over this part.)  There appears to be a slight radius
on the end, but that may just be wear.

The end that sticks out through the backing plate is reduced to 0.235"
for a distance of 0.145".  It appears to have had a 45 degree chamfer,
and a slight radius across the end.  It has a screwdriver slot that is
roughly 0.065" wide by 0.090". (Again, my sample is somewhat damaged
<g>)

The really strange part is that the locknut located on the outside of
the backing plate, is 0.530" across the flats.  This is the correct size
for a 5/16 BSF nut, but the steady post threads are definitely 24 tpi
(indicating UNF) instead of 22 tpi for BSF.  I can't explain this.
Although I can't measure the threads in the nut directly, it fits the
5/16-24 stud snugly but not tight.  The nut being about 0.16" thick, the
mismatch between 22 and 24 tpi would be 0.014", which should make it
bind.  The nut does not appear to have been re-tapped, but it's
possible.

If this isn't enough info, or is unclear, let me know and I'll try to do
a drawing.
Randall