Re: vacuum advance (Why have it?)

To: "Paul J. Burr" <tigerpb@ids.net>
Subject: Re: vacuum advance (Why have it?)
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 10:54:48 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "Randall Young" <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM> charset=ISO-8859-1
Message text written by "Paul J. Burr"
>OK, here's one for the collective.
I've got a '74 TR6 with the retard only dizzy. The engine has Weber
downdrafts and the vacum line for the distributor piped directly to the
carb
vacum port. My question is, was there some sort of bleed off valve that
enabled the retard at idle only?
Should I remove the vacum line and plug the port just to see what happens?
Paul Burr
<

The short answer is "yes."  The vacuum retard module is designed to be
connected to a "special" port on the carb that presents vacuum to the
module only when the throttle is closed.  It is quite likely that the weber
does not have such a port in which case you should remove the tube and cap
the ports.  Emissions is most likely not a concern in your case anyway.

Dave