u-joints

To: TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: u-joints
From: KTnKT <ktnkt@cape.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 23:07:10 -0400
Greetings folks, I seem to be having a bit of a rough time with
replacing the u-joints on my prop shaft. The old ones came out with
great difficulty, pretty much the opposite of "tap the yoke to release
the bearing caps" as stated from our friend Mr. Bentley. After finally
removing the front u-joint and cleaning the blood from my knuckes and
sweat from my brow, I simply could not get the new set into the flange.
Several times the cap would just lock up or start getting crooked going
in. So, figuring that something was distorted in the yoke flange I got a
spare prop shaft from the basement. The old u-joints came out easily,
but the new ones still don't seem to go in. The last time I did
u-joints  was a few months back on the Spitfire, and I can't imagine why
the TR6 ones would be any different. I guess my question should simply
be " how much force is normal in setting these things in ?" I don't want
to trash the flanges, but if a high amount of force is normal in getting
them in then that's what I'll have to do. If that isn't the case perhaps
I may have been sent a couple of bad sets of these. There is no name or
marking # on the ones I just got in (from  a well known supplier). I'll
wait to hear from those more knowledgeable than I before contacting the
supplier and asking about possible problems with their product.
   Thanks in advance for any help on this.
     Kevin
     CF55588U