Re: Hayden Fan & Cooling

To: justin@bexel.com, anabil@caltel.com
Subject: Re: Hayden Fan & Cooling
From: "" <greenman62@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 12:45:05 GMT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net, j.j.johnson@worldnet.att.net, kelsey@shadetreemotors.com, moag@ix.netcom.com, jmwagner@greenheart.com, thorn@sonic.net, randallyoung@earthlink.net
>From: Justin Paxton <justin@bexel.com>
>To: <anabil@caltel.com>
>CC: Triumph Newsletter <triumphs@autox.team.net>,   "J.T. Johnson"
><j.j.johnson@worldnet.att.net>,   Skip Kelsey <kelsey@shadetreemotors.com>,
>David Moag <moag@ix.netcom.com>,   Justin Wagner <jmwagner@greenheart.com>,
>TA thorn <thorn@sonic.net>,   <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
>Subject: Hayden Fan & Cooling
>Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 17:49:19 -0700
>
>I purchased the Hayden puller fan, and would appreciate whatever tips you
>can give about its installation, electrical considerations, use of the
>thermostat on/off or hard line to a switch on the dash.  I hear you need to
>drill holes in the radiator (tips -??), now I read you have to remove the
>fan and there are resulting harmonic considerations.  What about the pulley
>and the extension (hardware changes?).  I had the engine balanced with the
>fan and extension assembly.  It would appear this would help vibration in
>general, making the removal less of a concern (yes - no?).  Cooling on the
>TR3 seems to be a recurring theme as is the addition of the Hayden fan.
>Opinions on the success of this method to improve cooling are also welcome.
>How about removing the T-stat and inserting a sleeve.  I hear in So Cal you
>really don't need one and it helps cooling as well.
>THX: Justin
>'59 TR3A TS40984  Parts All Over The House

Regarding the Hayden puller. You don't need to drill any holes in the
radiator. The fan comes with mounting hardware that inludes plastic
rods with button ends that are thin enough to be inserted between the
radiator fins. I would recommend using the electric hardware.
Installation is straight-forward just follow the directions. I found
that Hayden fan just wasn't enough to keep my "hotted up" TR4 cool
(mine is an early car with the TR3 radiator). I opted for a PermaCool
Fan purchased from Summit racing... It works like a charm.

  Anyone who wants a new Hayden 13" fan without mounting hardware and
  all the electrical stuff let me know... I'll let it go for $50. The
  fan and electrics rig sell for <100...

Greg Petrolati