Re: Panhard Bars

To: <LaJoMor@aol.com>, <anacon@ziplink.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Panhard Bars
From: "Michael Marr" <mmarr@idcnet.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 08:10:44 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
I don't claim to be an authority on Panhard bars, or rods, as they are
somtimes known, but I do have some operating experience.  In my copious free
time, I am mechanic/tire changer/general dogsbody for a guy that runs late
model stock cars.  The rear axle on thes cars is typically laterally located
by a Panhard rod.  The car is very sensitive to the initial setup of the
rod - it must be horizontal when the suspension is normally loaded.  If the
angular displacement from the horizontal is too great, it can cause
"jacking" of the rear end of the car under extreme cornering loads.  Now, a
TR3 will probably never run on quarter mile ovals, but I would think that
locating the bar as close to horizontal as possible would be a good thing.