RE:Me too -OD cable

To: "Steven.McCutcheon@MAH.GOV.ON.CA" <Steven.McCutcheon@MAH.GOV.ON.CA>, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Subject: RE:Me too -OD cable
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 21:16:17 -0400
Steven,
I hate to disagree with people, often they know more about it that I think I
do....
But, I am almost POSITIVE that only the 4A used the angle drive.  Prior to that,
a long 90+ inch cable was used (LHD) and it snaked around in some manner
so it could dive straight in (perpendicular) to the OD where the speedo drive
was located.
Most sources say that even the 4A did not use the angle drive, but I am pretty
sure it did since
there is really no way to route the long cable effectively on the 4A/250/6.

The OD has the speedo drive on the opposite side compared to the non-OD.
If you use the angle drive, then you can use a much shorter cable, and the
non-OD style cable will probably be fine.  Being shorter, with fewer sharp
turns,
the angle drive-type should work better, unless your angle drive fails.

The angle drive is weaker than the cable, so when your speedo seizes, the angle
drive will
be severely damaged.  It is possible to repair the "sealed" unit.

Message text written by INTERNET:owner-triumphs-digest@autox.team.net
From: "Steven McCutcheon" <Steven.McCutcheon@MAH.GOV.ON.CA>

Sorry guys but the Tr4's I have had always had the cable route forward from the
angle drive under the tranny cover, into the engine bay, up through the
horizontal hole on the firewall (above the slave) and into the firewall almost
directly behing the speedo.  It never enters the passenger area at all !
Steve Mc
1962 TR4
1964 TR4
1960 TR Italia