RE:Me too -OD cable

To: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Subject: RE:Me too -OD cable
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 22:08:30 -0400
Cc: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "Steven.McCutcheon@MAH.GOV.ON.CA" <Steven.McCutcheon@MAH.GOV.ON.CA> charset=ISO-8859-1
Message text written by Tony Rhodes
>I hate to disagree with people, often they know more about it that I think
I do....
But, I am almost POSITIVE that only the 4A used the angle drive.  Prior to
that,
a long 90+ inch cable was used (LHD) and it snaked around in some manner
so it could dive straight in (perpendicular) to the OD where the speedo
drive was located.
Most sources say that even the 4A did not use the angle drive, but I am
pretty sure it did since
there is really no way to route the long cable effectively on the 4A/250/6.

<

Tony,

You are right.  On the TR2-4 with the floor mounted parking brake there is
a cutout and special boot that allows the long cable (sans right angle
drive) to pass into and out of the passenger compartment and then make a
big loop under the right side foot well before passing up over the top of
the transmission to the speedometer.

The TR4A-6 (with the tunnel mounted brake lever) did not have this opening
(although the rubber mats had the hole for the floor mounted brake lever)
and REQUIRED the right angle drive.

So, although you can use a right angle drive (and the non-od cable) on the
earlier cars you cna save some dough and buy the longer cable.  On the
later cars you must use the right angle drive.

Dave
57 TR3 (w/o)
71 TR6 (w/)
80 TR8 (a whole 'nother kittle of fish)