FW: distributors & batteries

To: "Triumphs (E-mail)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: FW: distributors & batteries
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 15:12:05 -0700
Howard :

I think you meant to send this to the list, so I've taken the liberty ...

I do not recommend the 'spark' test, as some devices (like high power stereos)
can draw a significant spark while charging their capacitors, yet draw little
or no idle current.  And, 50ma is plenty to cause dead battery  problems, but
may not produce a "real spark".

While the alternator is certainly a possible suspect, I wouldn't consider it
most likely.  Electrical leaks can form in many places.  One of the toughest I
ever had (not a LBC) was in a relay, whose phenolic base had become saturated
with road salt.  It would be fine during the day, but overnight dew would cause
it to start conducting enough to activate the relay.

IMO even 15ma is too high.  That will produce a significant battery drain in
just a month or two.  My TR3A (with alternator) is under 0.5ma, except for the
stereo's clock and memory, which draws about 1.5ma.

Randall
59 TR3A daily driver