Check water pump how?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Check water pump how?
From: a Wallace <wallaces@superaje.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 11:50:15 -0400
Re: water pump.
Got the two halves apart and all the 30 year old remains of antifreeze
cleaned out, and when I put it together the impeller contacted the housing.
I was able to tap it forward a bit, whereupon it turned freely. Then I put
the pulley on and tightened up the nut, which drew the shaft forward
further, to the point where it was very stiff to turn. I then tapped it
back a bit and now it both turns freely and doesn't hit the housing.
So that's all fine, and the bearings feel good, but how can I tell if the
bellows/seal thing is OK? I don't want to take it completely apart if I
don't need to, but I don't want to put the whole engine together and only
then discover that the water pump leaks.
Any hints?
Thanks,
Jim