Re: was prothane bushings

To: CarlSereda@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: was prothane bushings
From: LaJoMor@aol.com
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 10:22:38 EST
To Carl and the list....
Maybe a little clarification here...while researching bushings for my 250 I
checked into the Prothane (brand name, urethane bushings) red bushings and
the more commonly (?) seen black urethane bushings. According to Moss's
advertisements and Prothane (from Dee Engineering in Costa Mesa, CA) their
bushings are application specific for density and more obviously, fit.
Prothane offers bushings for many, many different applications. I have not
been able to find anything about the density of the black urethane offerings
but safe to say they are definitely firmer than the rubber ones that were
stock fittings and they are cheaper. If you want the Prothanes, watch for
sales, at least at Moss.

The difference between urethane and rubber is stated well by TRF..."A trade
off that you may or may not want to make when you are considering a change to
urethane is that harder bushes will result in more road feel, more vibration,
and more noise".

I think I would be safe in saying a lot of our LBCs are fair weather runners
(read warmer days)...with subsequent effects on bushing densities...hey, a 20
degree morning here in Colorado makes my rubber-bushed truck ride like a
conestoga wagon after sitting out all night!

One last thought...I believe the grease supplied with Prothane pieces is a
Teflon-based grease.

JMTCW...Larry
TR250