Rotor and caps Question

To: "Triumph" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rotor and caps Question
From: "David Brister" <david@dbrister.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 10:59:23 -0000
Listers, Greetings!

Don Clarke writes

>Yesterday I was driving back from lunch in my 72 TR6 when it died.
After
>coasting to a parking lot and prodding around under the hood I
determined that
>I was getting spark from the coil, but none was going through
distributor cap
>to the spark plugs. The short story is that the rotor was bad, despite
the fact
>that it looked fine!

Over the last 50,000 miles of TR'ing I have had the motor die without
warning twice, once whilst overtaking;
a nasty moment!

Both times the culprits were the rotor arms which were pattern types I
had bought from my local car parts shop
The local car electrics expert told me this was not uncommon with cheap
aftermarket electrical parts and it is better to use genuine Prince of
Darkness rotor arms. Obtained a couple and so far no recurrence.

IMHO one should always have a spare rotor arm, points (I've had a set
break up in use) and a condenser (once had one fail suddenly while
setting carbs) in the glove box. That way it's not too difficult to get
going again if the problem is not obvious and you don't have diagnostic
kit.

Once I had a coil fail on the road but that was my fault as I had been
using it for a few thousand miles without the ballast resistor that
should have been there!

Two pennyworth from

David Brister

1967 TR4A, 1963 P4 Rover 110.