RE: Clicks, clunks, and a boatload of torque

To: "Steve Daniels" <sdaniels@gorge.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Clicks, clunks, and a boatload of torque
From: "Brian Sanborn" <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 09:37:39 -0500
Steve Daniels wrote:

The transmission does not shift very smoothly; I suspect the
linkage is worn.  The headlights flicker from bright to brighter,
and the gas pedal makes a strange pulsation when we're coasting.

Steve,

There really isn't any "linkage" that can wear out in the way
older American cars have.  The TR gearbox uses a very positive
set of sliding rods with a bronze set of "hands" that move the
synchro body and engage the gear. One rod does 1st and 2nd and
the other does 3rd and 4th.  There is a third rod that moves the
reverse idler for reverse gear.  The shifter is directly attached
to these rods about 15" from the gears themselves.

If you are experiencing difficulty shifting... first check the
oil level in the gearbox.  I is not unusual for a car to go dry
due to a front oil seal leak that goes unattended.  If your lucky
that's the problem... if not it is most likely worn synchro rings
and will require a gearbox rebuild.  Drain the oil from the
gearbox and examine the oil.  If it has "a lot" of yellow-ish
flakes or if it has major metal bits in the oil you may be able
confirm the diagnosis.

Brian Sanborn
'62 TR4  CT16260L soon to be "O" - Groton, MA

My TR4 Restoration Web Site
http://www.net1plus.com/users/sanborn
E-Mail: sanborn@net1plus.com