Re: Clicks, clunks, and a boatload of torque

To: Steve Daniels <sdaniels@gorge.net>, Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Clicks, clunks, and a boatload of torque
From: "Power British Performance Parts, Inc." <britcars@powerbritish.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 23:22:24 -0500
Steve Daniels wrote:

> I brought my car ('73 TR6) home on the freeway; a trip of well
> over one hundred miles.  When I went out the next day to start
> it, I got about one and a half rrrs, and then nothing.  Figuring
> the PO set me up with a battery on it's last legs, today I went
> down to Les Schwab and put down about seventy-five bucks on one
> of his finest.
>
> As I was installing it, attaching the positive cable, I heard a
> click from the front of the car.  I took the cable off, and it
> was there again.  (Thunk)<click!> (Thunk)<click!> (Thunk)<click!>
> It sounds for all the world like a relay closing, and I'm
> wondering if something is stuck.  The sound comes from the front
> of the car, it sounds like around the horns.  I disconnected the
> horns (no button anyway, something else for The List) but that
> didn't make the sound go away.  I have a suspicion that if I try
> to start it in the morning, this battery will be drained as well.
>
> What's up there that sounds like a relay?

Steve,

Your problem may be the horns, but I think it's something else.

Post CF-1 cars used a solenoid valve mounted below the charcoal canister to
prevent 'run-on' after engine shut down.  This valve is wired into the oil
pressure switch (3 wire switch) such that the valve becomes energized for the
few
seconds following shut down until the oil pressure bleeds down to zero.  Check
the wiring on your switch - the valve is controlled at the pressure switch by
grounding the white/purple wire.  Check your connections that the terminal isn't
bent over touching the black ground wire (a common occurrence is to mash these
up
when changing a canister oil filter).  Otherwise, your connections being good,
check the function of the switch with a multimeter or by observing the oil lamp
on the dash with the key in the 'run' position.

Good luck!

Brian Schlorff
Power British
610-270-0505