Clicks, clunks, and a boatload of torque

To: Steve Daniels <sdaniels@gorge.net>
Subject: Clicks, clunks, and a boatload of torque
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 10:16:56 -0500
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by Steve Daniels
<snip>I  went down to Les Schwab and put down about seventy-five bucks on
one of his finest.

As I was installing it, attaching the positive cable, I heard a
click from the front of the car.  I took the cable off, and it
was there again.  (Thunk)<click!> (Thunk)<click!> (Thunk)<click!>
It sounds for all the world like a relay closing, and I'm
wondering if something is stuck.  The sound comes from the front
of the car,<snip>

Steve,

That is most likely your Anti-Run-On valve.  It is powered off of a special
contact on the keyswitch and grounded through the oilpressure switch.  The
OP seitch should switch it off when oil pressure goes away but either due
to a faulty switch or incorrect wiring yours is not.  Pull the wires off of
the switch (note their location) and repeat your test.  (I don't know the
correct connection configuration off the top of my head but will look it up
later if you need it).

Also check if the oil warning light and the brake fail warning light
illuminate when the key is switched on.

Dave
57 TR3
71 TR6