Re: Clicks, clunks, and a boatload of torque

To: "Bill DeWar" <pcdelux@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: Clicks, clunks, and a boatload of torque
From: Steve Daniels <sdaniels@gorge.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 20:07:05 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Thu, 1 Feb 2001 22:40:36 -0500, "Bill DeWar"
<pcdelux@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>Hi Steve,
>
>  My findings over the years on your posting. The "relay" noise is a
>anti-runon
>solnoid mounted right front near radiator. It is powered up thru an oil
>pressure
>switch on left side of engine and works to create a massive vacuum leak when
>engine is shut down to prevent runon. When oil pressure drops to zero it
>shuts
>off. Sticking oil pressure switch is the problem. Unplug it for now if you
>can't
>find oil switch.

I just got a Moss catalog, and can probably find the oil pressure
switch from that.  Those Moss people sent me a free catalog
Priority Mail.  I expected a four to six week wait.

So far I give them four spoked wheels.  I can only hope the rest
of their service is this good.  I'll be giving them a chance to
show me.

>  Pedal pulsation is usually loose engine or trans mounts allowing the
>throttle
>linkage to be pushed around on coasting.
>  Last the rear end clunks have many causes from loose u-joints to worn rear
>axle mounts to broken frame mounting points.

Loose engine and trans mounts could also be the reason for the
clunk, I expect.

>  Hope this helps Good hunting
>
>Bill DeWar
>New Jersey Triumph Association

I used to live in New Jersey.  We had a '74 Spitfire that my mom
drove most of the time.