Re: Manual for general knowledge.

To: "Fred Thomas" <vafred@erols.com>
Subject: Re: Manual for general knowledge.
From: "Scott A. Roberts" <herald1200@home.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 15:42:23 -0500
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Yes Fred- There is a lot to be said for the guy who can say "I did that
myself" and you look over at a well done job. A lot of mechanics don't
really care what they do to the car- it is just another car to them. Also, I
have some suspicions about some mechanics. I had one I went to for a while,
and every time he fixed it, something else would go wrong shortly
thereafter, which, again, he would get to fix. I started working on things
myself, and that didn't happen. Sometimes it is not just insurance reasons
they don't want you in the shop.

BEFORE ANYONE YELLS! I do not accuse all mechanics of this type practice- I
have just had a few experiences with some rather "questionable" problems
cropping up after repairs from a couple different mechanics. However, I do
have a few I trust, and I know the vast majority are honest guys/businesses.
So I don't deal with them any more for the most part, and when I do, it is
only with those I trust. (One criteria- will they let me into the shop when
they are working on my car, and see what they're doing.. Also, can/will they
B.S. about cars? If they can't or won't, it is just a job to them, and they
don't care about cars. The mechanic my mom has gone to for years, and about
the only local one I trust, is great- he is into antiques and street rods.
And has been working on cars forever. Valuable resource there)

When I worked at a VW dealer many years back, you could see the attitude of
the mechanics. Count your change in the ashtray before you drop your newer
ride off at a dealer...Chances are the mechanic can tell you how much is in
there when the car comes back. Also, they really don't care what parts they
throw in- as long as they can mark them up sufficiently. I always supply my
own....Saves on charges.

Scott
64 Herald 1200 Convertible, which enjoys the personal attention