RE: Help! TR6 value?

To: "'Triumphs'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, " mga" <mga@napanet.net>
Subject: RE: Help! TR6 value?
From: "Eric Conrad" <conrade@qwest.net>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 09:06:55 -0700
Let's see:  Non-driver(?), non-runner(?), rust in floor boards (probably
elsewhere too), and interior trashed.  If you plan on restoring this car,
keep in mind that you have a lot of work to get it road-worthy.  Take that
time and parts expense into mind.  If it was me, I wouldn't offer more than
$500, but maybe less.  If it isn't much better than a parts car, I would
begin at $250.

Also, you mentioned that the only rust you found is in the driver's floor.
I find it hard to believe that there isn't any in the upper rear corners of
the rear fenders, and at the top of the headlight buckets.  Have you crawled
around under the car *lightly* poking with a screwdriver?  Do the fenders
pass the magnet test for presence of thick bondo?

All that said, I bought my current car in a similar condition, but without
the rusty floor.  I made sure that the rockers, bulkhead, frame, ... were
very sound.  The engine turned with jumper cables, but wouldn't fire (and it
hadn't for about 8 years).  The interior was in great shape for a car that
sat idle for years, but the seats would eventually need recovering.  As I
inspected the car, including the engine, I felt that the engine would run,
with a little TLC.  The only rust on the car (and I'm not kidding), was in
the upper corners of the rear fenders.  I felt this car was worth
approximately $1,000.  It ran the day I brought it home.  Keep in mind,
though; I bought it to be a restoration project.

Good luck,
Eric